In 1995, MERCI Clinic was just a dream of some local residents.
In 1996, that dream became a reality as MERCI Clinic first began operating at the Phoenix House one night per week with one doctor, a nurse, and a handful of other volunteers. Eventually, a pharmacy was established and a pharmacist was recruited to oversee the dispensing of prescription medications. Slowly, more physicians and other volunteers were recruited and the need for a larger space was evident.
By 1998, 15-20 patients were being seen one night per week. A nurse’s clinic was started by the ECU School of Nursing one afternoon each week and the volunteer retired physicians started a Continuity of Care Clinic two weekday evenings, in addition to the regular clinic hours. Due to the increasing patient volume, a part-time nurse was employed to help with patient care coordination.
Finally in 2000, an offer was made to purchase 1315 Tatum Drive. This facility was nearly perfect for what the Board of Directors envisioned for the future of the MERCI Clinic. In April of 2001, with the help of many organizations and individuals in the community, the Board of Directors purchased the building
Recent years have seen the addition of numerous specialty services and a regular dental clinic. The old first-come, first-served system of patient care has been replaced by regular appointments and enhanced continuity of care. MERCI Clinic was recognized last year by the North Carolina Association of Free Clinics as one of the most successful free clinics in the state based on patient outcomes. We now provide our various services five days per week.
The name, MERCI Clinic, was chosen as an acronym for its original sponsors: Matthew 25 (a New Bern ecumenical group), East Carolina University, Religious Community Services, the Community of New Bern, and Individual contributors and volunteers.
MERCI Clinic is committed to providing confidential medical services to individuals regardless of race, color, creed, national origin, gender, religion or other legally protected status.
This is our home at 1315 Tatum Drive in New Bern.
The talents and generosity of our community make our mission possible.
We invite you to contact us to learn more about how you can be a part of our proud history.